Monday, June 18, 2012

Garden Pictures

One of the most frugal things we do is keep a large garden.  I save a lot of money in my grocery budget not to mention the fact that I just plain love gardening. There is something about growing your own food and eating right out of your own backyard.  Here is how our garden is looking these days.

This last weekend we got over 4 inches of rain.  The temperatures this week are going to be hot.  Today was almost 100 degrees.  I took these pictures a couple days ago and already things are growing larger.  This is a look across most of the garden.  Spinach, lettuce, kale, swiss chard, carrots, onions, green beans.
Here is summer squash, zucchini, cucumbers and a random potato plant that came up voluntarily.  
Peas.  I have been harvesting lots of snow peas and just harvested my first batch of regular peas yesterday.

Here is my first squash!
Here is the other side of the garden.  Green beans, bell peppers and tomatoes.  Next to the peas at the top are cantaloupe.  
My green beans are blooming and I suspect that after this week I will be seeing some beans.

Growing your own food is an easy way to save money.  Not only do you save money but you know exactly where your food came from and how it was grown.


4 comments:

  1. Your garden looks amazing! We just moved to an acreage this spring and didn't have much time to get anything really going this year. I managed to get in some tomatoes and onions. Can't wait until next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a tremendous amount of work. How do you keep up with the weeding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a small garden on my balcony. Still learning about gardening, but I love harvesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! We haven't harvested much yet. The rabbits ate all my green beans and the deer ate all my cantaloupe. I need to replant, but finding the time is a challenge.

    ReplyDelete